Man Who Plead to Manslaughter Receives 35-year Sentence

For Immediate Release
September 22, 2008
For more information, please contact
Michael Guest at (601) 825-1472

Madison and Rankin Counties’ District Attorney Michael Guest announced today Keison Jones received a sentence of 35 years to serve in the November 16, 2007 slaying of Marcus Ollie.

The Canton Police Department responded to an emergency call regarding multiple gunshots being fired. Upon arriving at the scene, law enforcement officials found Marcus Ollie laying in his yard with multiple gunshot wounds. Law enforcement immediately began assisting Ollie and paramedics rushed him to the Madison County Medical Center where he later died.

The Canton Police Department’s investigation led to the retrieval of several spent shell casings as well as several witnesses that observed the incident. Through their investigation, it was determined that Jones and Ollie had previously been involved in a verbal altercation. On the day of the shooting, Ollie was walking down the street when Jones approached him and pulled a 9mm gun from under his coat and shot Ollie several times.

A warrant was later issued for Jones’ arrest. The Canton Police Department and the United States Marshall Service were able to track Jones through his cell phone to Memphis, Tennessee and later in Chicago, Illinois. Jones was later arrested and admitted to the shooting Ollie, but claimed he was acting in self-defense.

Guest stated, “Keison Jones armed himself that day with the intent to kill Marcus Ollie. He shot the victim numerous times and then fled the state to avoid arrest.”

Guest added, “We must continue sending the message that when a crime occurs, we will work day and night with law enforcement to track down the offender and make sure they are brought to justice.”

Guest concluded, “The Canton Police Department and the United States Marshall Service did an outstanding job tracking down a dangerous individual and removing him from our streets.”