Former Fugitive Receives 26-year Sentence for Armed Robbery

For Immediate Release
February 23, 2012
For more information, please contact
Michael Guest at (601) 825-1472

Madison and Rankin Counties’ District Attorney Michael Guest announced today that Kenneth Flowers received a 26-year sentence for two counts of armed robbery, after being found guilty by a jury following a two day trial. Flowers will be required to serve every day of his 26-year sentence imposed by the court.

On September 18, 2008, two defendants walked into the Pearl Super D Drugstore, covering their faces with jackets to avoid being identified. The defendants demanded, at gunpoint, that the clerk provide them with all of the money from the cash register and safe. After retrieving the money, they moved towards the pharmacy and demanded several prescription drugs. Flowers, whom had planned the robbery and driven the other two defendants to the store, sat in the vehicle, preparing to drive them away.

The Pearl Police Department was notified of the robbery and arrived prior to the suspects leaving the store. Within minutes of the crime, the Pearl SWAT teams arrived at the drug store and both subjects surrendered to police. Law enforcement officers recovered the money and the prescription drugs that they had attempted to steal during the robbery. Flowers escaped on foot as law enforcement arrived at the scene.

After the two suspects were arrested both agreed to speak with law enforcement. They both identified Flowers as the one who had planned the robbery. Both stated that Flowers had stolen a truck in Jackson and driven them to the Super D. Flowers then fled the scene on foot as police were arriving. The stolen truck was later recovered in a restaurant parking lot.

A warrant was issued for Flowers arrest but he was able to avoid capture for nearly two years before being apprehended in Jackson by the United States Marshall’s Fugitive Task Force.

Guest stated, “Flowers was the mastermind behind this crime that put the lives of the two employees and the general public at risk. Both store employees were ordered at gunpoint to get on the floor and one was later made to open the safe. Due to a concerned citizen calling 911, and the outstanding work of the Pearl Police Department the suspects were caught and the money and drugs were confiscated.”

Guest added, “This case demonstrates that when our law enforcement agencies work together that criminals will be brought to justice. We will work day and night to track down those who break our laws and attempt to escape the punishment for their crimes.”